In late January, the Northern District’s six newest judges attended a Federal Bar Association panel to offer insights into their practices and chambers. The recurring theme of the discussion was a call for civility: Civility in court. Civility in briefs. Civility in emails. Over the next several weeks, I will provide summaries of each judge’s comments and insights. This post (the first in the series) focuses upon Magistrate Judge Gilbert:
- If you bind a document, spiral bind.
- Do not play with margins, spacing, or font in your papers.
- Deliver courtesy copies before the close of business.
- In settlement conferences "be prepared and know your case."
- For settlement conferences, educate clients and prepare them to be flexible.