DSM Desotech, Inc. v. 3D Sys. Corp., No. 08 C 1531, Slip Op. (N.D. Ill. June 20, 2013) (Coleman, J.).
Judge Coleman awarded defendants (collectively “3D Systems”) approximately $140K in fees and costs as the prevailing party. Of particular note, the Court held as follows:
- The Court awarded witness fees for days testifying, but not days traveling.
- The Court awarded subsistence costs, up to the allowed $71/day.
- The Court awarded Bates-labeling costs, but not costs for confidentiality branding.
- 3D Systems was allowed to recover for two copies of each deposition exhibit, but not the full four that it made.
- 3D Systems was allowed to recover for three copies of summary judgment motions because 3D Systems had encountered trouble downloading multiple copies of its briefs.
- 3D Systems did not recover for rough drafts or ASCII versions of deposition transcripts.
- Video synchronization costs were not awarded because there were not sound or comprehension problems that required putting the text on the screen.